Tuesday, October 05, 2004

There Are Many Kinds of Crushes

BOY CRUSH--non-sexual, but endearing. Like the friend-of-a-friend I don't have much in common with, but am awfully fond of all the same. We have no reason to hang out together, but sometimes we trade clever emails. "If only I had a sister," I think, "I'd set her up with you."

But sometimes the boy crush is not attractive, like the boy in my class who is so, so funny, and who sometimes looks at me when he makes a joke to see if I am laughing. But we do not talk casually. How can we? I have not made a new friend out of a boy in a long, long time. I do not know how to do it anymore. I don't even know if I"m allowed to do it anymore . . . can grown-up boys make friends of other grown-up boys when they don't want to kiss them? How does it work?

No comments: